Social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) can be an important informal source of information and photos for journalists. Be aware of this.
Think, for example, of the following:
- Appoint a person in charge to keep an eye on social media.
- Manage the profile of the victims. On Facebook, for example, you can ask for the profile to be either memorialised or removed:
- Memorialising means that only confirmed friends still have access to the profile of the deceased. The profile remains active so friends and family can express their condolences.
- Removal means that the profile disappears. No one has access to the profile any longer.
- Ask family and friends to pay attention to what they share.
- Think carefully about everything you share online.