After the critical phase of the emergency, there are still a lot of measures to be taken. This is the aftercare period. The mayor, governor or minister must ensure that there is a return to normalcy as soon as possible.
A few possible measures:
- Taking protective measures against hazards that are still present
- Support of victims (tax, legal, psycho-social, etc.)
- Repair works on the street, neighbourhood or other infrastructure affected
- Restarting economic and social activities
- Follow-up of judicial investigations and proceedings
Depending on the severity of the emergency, this aftercare period can last from a few days to several years.